Partnering with families by providing quality Christ Centered Early Childhood Education
Preschool Open House
5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Please use the Preschool Entrance on the South East corner of the building.
Registration for the 2017/18 school year will begin online March 1 at 10:00am.
Please follow the link provided to register at that time.
We have added new classes to better serve our growing community! Please review our available class options before registering.Preschool Registration
At WECA Preschool:
- There are NO mandatory fundraisers, parent duty days or toy cleaning requirements.
- We offer small child to staff ratios.
- We promote investigative, inquiry-based play in both self-directed and teacher lead activities.
- We encourage children to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills by engaging in science and math activities.
- We have access to a full-size gym with a variety of equipment for gross motor development.
- We utilize the “Handwriting without tears” Phonics program.
- We partner with outside agencies to provide Preschool for children with special needs.
- Subsidy is available to those who qualify.
Note: Children must turn 3 years old by December 1st of this year to enroll in our 3 year old program. Likewise children must turn 4 by December 1st of this year to enroll in our 4 year old program.
WECA Preschool is committed to the enhancement of the whole child. It is our goal for each child to develop and demonstrate achievement in his/her spiritual, cognitive, physical, social, emotional and creative development.
General Policy Statement
WECA Preschool is a licensed preschool, operated as a ministry of West Edmonton Christian Assembly. While it is not a requirement for WECA Preschool Families to be Christians or attendees of WECA, we invite Preschool Families to take advantage of the wide variety of available WECA Programs and Facilities. The staff of WECA Preschool are committed Christians with a passion for teaching preschool age children. We endeavour to provide an environment where the children feel safe and successful, where they can develop age-appropriate cognitive and critical thinking skills while also fostering each child’s love of learning and creativity.
WECA Preschool provides morning or afternoon classes for preschool children (three, four and five year olds).
Group 1: 3 Year Olds (2 Classes per week)
Monday and Wednesday mornings 9:15 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. or
Monday and Wednesday mornings 9:00 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Monday and Wednesday afternoons 12:15 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. or
Tuesday and Thursday mornings 9:15 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. or
Group 2: 4 Year Olds (2 or 3 Classes per week)
Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings 9:10 a.m. – 11:10 a.m. or
2 classes Monday and Wednesday afternoons 11:45 a.m. – 2:45 p.m. or
2 classes Tuesday and Thursday mornings 9:10 a.m. – 12:10 p.m.
September to mid-June. Holidays (Please refer to monthly calendar for specific dates) WECA Preschool follows the Edmonton Public School Calendar.
- Thanksgiving Day
- Remembrance Day
- Christmas Holidays
- Family Day
- Spring Break
- Good Friday & Easter Monday
- Victoria Day
- Teacher’s Convention
WECA Preschool is open to all children who wish to attend and whom we can accommodate. Enrollment numbers are limited to provide greater care and attention for each child. Families do not need to be members of or attend WECA. Children will be considered for admission based on:
- Their enrollment in the previous year
- First come – first served with a waiting list to be maintained
- Students may register for our 3 or 4 year old program. Our cutoff date is December 1st, which means children must be 4 years old by December 1st to enroll in our 4 year old program and likewise for our 3 year old program (3 years old by December 1st).
- Please note that we are licensed for 3-5 year olds. Students who have not turned 3 by the first day of class WILL NOT be permitted to start class until they have turned 3 years of age. Fees are not adjusted – fees are due each month to hold a student’s spot in that class.
- It is expected that each student will be fully toilet trained by the time he/she begins.
Participants must submit a $75.00 non-refundable Registration Fee once registration has been confirmed.
WECA Preschool operates as a self-supporting and educational non-profit outreach of the West Edmonton Christian Assembly Church. It is financed completely by tuition receipts.
Tuition fees are determined by a cost per instructional hour divided by 10 months of the school year. For the term September to June, tuition for each child is:
- $135.00 per month for the 3 year old programs.
- $180.00 per month for the 4 year old programs.
- Subsidy may be available through the Government of Alberta. Fees are not adjusted for non-attendance. There will be no refunds after May 1st.
- If it is necessary to withdraw from the program at any time, one months written notice is required. Any and all N.S.F. cheques will result in a $25.00 penalty fee.
At WECA Preschool we provide an environment where students engage in intentional, investigative play. Opportunity is provided for children to participate in both self-directed and teacher-led activities throughout class time. We teach the love of Jesus through Bible stories, songs, rhymes and more. WECA students participate in a variety of creative activities planned around specific themes that are enhanced by Christian concepts. Our students experience music, science, art, and drama. They explore earthly elements like the weather, sand and water, and play with puppets, blocks, and so much more. Many students participate in a two year program. Our 3 year old program introduces the children to the different letters in the alphabet and their sounds, while our 4 year old program introduces them to phonics or pre-reading skills. We recommend taking advantage of both our programs as they work together to give your child the best start to their education career.
Students participate in a weekly gym time where they experience a variety of gross motor activities including music/movement games, gymnastics, ball games, balance activities, spacial awareness, etc.
Outdoor Activities Weather permitting, the children and teachers may go outside during class time. This is a time for the children to run, jump, hop, throw, etc. and a time for “feeling the weather.” Nature walks will also be taken occasionally. Please ensure your child is prepared by providing appropriate outdoor clothing and footwear.
WECA Preschool students participate in both in-class and off-site field trips. Field trips are a valuable hands on extension to classroom learning and they provide an opportunity for children to engage with their community. Information will be provided by the teacher before each field trip and permission forms will be signed. Field trips also provide a great opportunity for parent or family members to participate in classroom activities.